How can I check my email, SMS and phone call usage?
Billing is all handled through your current subscription with quotas for SMS, emails and phone calls included in the plan, after which overage is charged via the end-of-month invoice. We don’t yet have a specific real-time tracking page but an email alert is sent when the included quotas are reached.
How do I pay for third-party services (SMS, phone calls, email, database and app hosting)?
Branding, Imagery and Video FAQs
Is it possible to include images and videos on supporter group pages and events?
Yes, it’s possible to drag and drop images directly into the content editor when creating/editing events in SupporterBase. This is true for the page content as well as the autoresponder content.
You can also embed videos from YouTube and Vimeo in the page content for supporter groups and events by following the same process as you do in NationBuilder. Simply include the video URL on its own line without any styles (e.g. no bold text or colors), and without making it a hyperlink.
Can supporter group pages and events be styled by our organisation’s staff members, or by local leaders?
Yes, it is definitely possible to update the style and layout of supporter group pages and events in the same way you control the design of all the other pages of your nation’s websites. You have various options to ensure group pages and events look and function exactly how you need:
- First of all, you can choose whether you wish to:
- Connect your main organizational website to your new SupporterBase
- In this case all group pages and events will automatically use your website’s styles and layout. In addition, our team of NationBuilder architects can add the extra SupporterBase features to your existing theme (e.g. to show a map of all supporter groups, and to include a member signup form on each supporter group page)
- Create a new site exclusively for the purpose of showing all your groups publicly
- In this case we can share a special SupporterBase theme with your nation to ensure you have all the features you need. It is built on the latest Bootstrap 4 theme that NationBuilder released in July 2019
- Furthermore, our team of NationBuilder architects can update the top nav menu, footer, colors and fonts of the new site to match your main organizational website.
- Connect your main organizational website to your new SupporterBase
- Once your chosen website is connected to your new SupporterBase your team can always revise the layout and styles of any or all group pages and events whenever you need. This is possible as those pages all exist within NationBuilder, so you can control the design and functionality of each of them in the same way you can manage all the other pages in your nation’s websites.
- For their part, local leaders can update the content of their group’s landing page and events. They won’t have any control over the styes or layout of those pages (unless you give them access to your nation), but they can edit the text and images to provide up-to-date information to prospective members and event attendees.
Is it possible to show tags on supporter profiles and to filter by those tags (e.g. so the group leaders can see additional detail about supporter engagement)?
Absolutely - you can configure your SupporterBase to show whatever tags you need for each supporter. The reason we don’t display all NationBuilder tags for each profile by default is that some supporters may have lots of tags that aren’t relevant to group leaders (and the naming conventions for tags may not always be appropriate or easy-to-understand for group leaders). As such, admins are able to decide which tags should be visible and give appropriate names to those tags. To do that, you can navigate to the “Tag filters” section of your SupporterBase and create the filters you need based on NationBuilder tags. Profiles in SupporterBase will display the full list of matching tag filters, and leaders can search by those tags to find all supporters in their group who have a given tag.
How does the calling feature work?
When the call button is clicked for an individual supporter profile, the logged in leader will receive a call on their mobile number (which they can edit at any time by clicking “update profile”). Once the group leader answers the call, the supporter’s number will then automatically be dialled and they will be connected to the call. In this way, the supporter’s number is never visible to the leader, and vice versa. You will have used similar features for handling calls while protecting phone numbers if you have ever contacted a driver through a ride-share service. As an additional bonus in SupporterBase, there is also a call lists feature for more seamlessly handling multiple phone calls one after the other and tracking each contact as you go.
GDPR, data and privacy
Can I use SupporterBase in the UK and Europe?
The short answer is yes! To learn more about how SupporterBase enables compliance with key GDPR requirements, you can review the below GDPR sub-sections.
Please note the information offered below is not legal advice. We are providing general information about SupporterBase and how it addresses elements of GDPR applicable to the product. If you have further questions or would like to discuss ways to ensure SupporterBase fits your organization’s specific privacy and data policy requirements, please get in touch: firstname.lastname@example.org.
What are the data implications of integrating with NationBuilder
All SupporterBase customers must also be NationBuilder customers (given the nature of the integration), and SupporterBase automatically syncs changes in NationBuilder including all profile updates or removals.
You can learn more about how NationBuilder complies with GDPR here: https://nationbuilder.com/gdpr_faqs.
How is consent achieved?
All public supporter group pages live on a central website within the organization’s connected NationBuilder account. This means that all of NationBuilder’s existing features for requesting and tracking consent are available for organizations to use on their supporter group signup forms and event pages.
By default, SupporterBase only extracts a specific subset of supporter data from your organization’s connected NationBuilder account. This subset includes all profiles who have at least one of the tags explicitly associated with a supporter group, as well as the profiles of all admins, leaders and other users with password access to your SupporterBase.
As such, your organization is able to structure your data processes to ensure that you only apply the relevant supporter group tags to individuals who have explicitly opted-in to joining a supporter group. This can be done by creating supporter group signup pages that request explicit consent and apply the group’s tags to supporters once that consent is provided. (Please note that, if the optional “Autocomplete search” feature is enabled, then SupporterBase will sync all people data from your organization’s NationBuilder account).
Furthermore, when syncing supporter data from NationBuilder, SupporterBase honors all existing consent preferences across the full range of NationBuilder’s opt-in and opt-out fields for each supporter. For example, supporters will not be contactable through SupporterBase if they have the “do not contact” option selected under their profile in NationBuilder. Similarly:
- they will not be emailable through SupporterBase unless the “receive emails” option is selected for their profile;
- they will not be contactable via SMS within SupporterBase unless the “receive texts” option is selected for their profile; and
- they will not be callable through SupporterBase if the “do not call” option is selected for their profile
- lastly, no additional personal information is stored in SupporterBase outside of the data saved under the supporter’s corresponding profile in the organization’s nation.
How is event and RSVP data handled?
All event and RSVP data is synced with the organization’s NationBuilder account (their “nation”), which means any deletions of events and/or RSVPs in their nation will automatically trigger the removal of that same event and RSVP data from the organization’s SupporterBase.
Can supporter data be removed from SupporterBase on request?
- If a supporter wants to be removed from SupporterBase but remain in the nation, this can be achieved. They will remain in the nation but have exclusion tags added, so that they will no longer appear in the SupporterBase group and will therefore no longer be contactable by group leaders.
- If a profile is deleted or permanently deleted in NationBuilder (e.g. in response to an erasure request) then that profile will automatically be removed from the organization’s SupporterBase. This includes removal and anonymization of all associated activity history for that profile (e.g. past email and SMS exchanges handled through SupporterBase), similar to how NationBuilder handles anonymization of donation records when a profile is removed.
- As a result of the above, any supporters removed from NationBuilder will automatically cease to appear in all groups, events and RSVP lists within SupporterBase. Furthermore, if a supporter has been permanently deleted in NationBuilder then it will no longer be possible to add that same supporter to SupporterBase at any point in the future (similar to how NationBuilder will block attempts to reintroduce the person’s data to the nation).
Who has access to supporter data via SupporterBase?
Admins and leaders.
Supporter group leaders can only see the names of supporters within their particular group, and cannot view their contact details. SupporterBase enables direct email and phone communication between group leaders and supporters without showing contact details. Group leaders cannot see any details of supporters in groups where they are not a leader or recruiter.
Similar to the processes outlined in the section related to supporter data, all admins, leaders and other users with password access to an organization’s SupporterBase must have an associated profile in the organization’s NationBuilder account.
Can group leaders see the phone numbers or email addresses of their group leaders in SupporterBase?
No, supporter data is always kept private. One of the key principles behind SupporterBase is to allow volunteer leaders to connect with their group members while maintaining the security of all supporter data.
In some sections of the app (e.g. printable RSVP lists for events), masked/partial versions of supporter email addresses and mobile numbers are shown (e.g. email@example.com and 048**64). This is done solely for the purpose of enabling leaders to confirm that supporter details are up-to-date, while ensuring that the full emails and phone numbers are hidden from leaders.
If your organization has a particular need for group leaders to be able to see the email addresses and/or phone numbers of their local supporters within each individual profile then we can discuss your needs and enable that option on a case-by-case basis. However, this is strictly an opt-in configuration, and the default behavior of SupporterBase will always be to prevent leaders from ever seeing full supporter details other than first name, last name, approved tags, level of engagement and recent activity (e.g. their latest contacts and RSVPs).
You say SupporterBase is for progressives. What do you mean by that?
We understand the term “progressive” can encompass a broad spectrum. So we try not to be too dogmatic, or aligned with any particular political party. We believe campaigners of all backgrounds can make a positive contribution to the world. However, we will not allow our services and products to be used for causes that are corrosive to democracy, human dignity, equality, social justice or the planet.
Therefore, SupporterBase should not be used by individuals, campaigns or organizations:
- Inciting violence;
- Promoting policies which discriminate on the basis of race, religion, sexuality or gender;
- Advocating for a conservative right-wing agenda;
- That deny the existence of man-made climate change or are standing in the way of immediate action to mitigate the threat it poses;
- That oppose democracy and accountable governance;
- Engaged in, directly or indirectly, human trafficking and/or forced labor;
- Engaged in arms trafficking or lobbying for more relaxed gun control;
- Deliberately spreading misinformation or slander.
If we become aware that your organization or campaign contravenes any of the conditions outlined above, we reserve the right to disallow access to SupporterBase.
Getting started - For admins
Once you’ve completed the steps to launch your own SupporterBase and received the confirmation email to create your admin account, you’re ready to get started empowering your leaders!
- To create your first group, click the “Add Supporter Group” link in the sidebar
- Each group has its own NationBuilder calendar page on your site. The default option is to automatically create a calendar page for your new group. Alternatively, you can select the option to connect your group to an existing calendar page, in which case the “Associated calendar” dropdown will show the list of available options.
- The “Associated tags” field is where you can add the list of relevant tags for your new group - any supporters with at least one of these tags will appear in the group.
- The sync process will begin when your new group is created to automatically identify the group’s supporters in your nation and add them to the group in SupporterBase.
- With your first group ready to go you can start testing other features by sending individual emails & SMS to supporters listed in your group as well as creating email & SMS blasts.
- You can likewise create custom filters to see how they appear on your supporter group page and how they can be used in sending blasts to specific segments of your group.
- If you run into any issues, you can review our extensive FAQs and support docs on each feature or contact the SupporterBase team for help: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Launching your own SupporterBase
You can launch your own SupporterBase on a one-week free trial here: https://launch.supporterbase.com/. That form automatically guides you through the setup process.
- Enter your name, email and nation slug then submit the form to connect your nation.
- This will take you to your nation’s control panel in order to approve the SupporterBase app (you’ll see your NationBuilder sign in screen if you’re not already logged in).
- The second step is to choose your subscription option (either monthly or annual) and add your credit card.
- Your SupporterBase comes with a free trial so the first payment won’t be due until the end of your first week.
- Finally, you will select the specific site you will connect to SupporterBase (if your nation has multiple sites), and set the ID of the NationBuilder broadcaster you wish to use for new events.
Once you’ve completed the 3 steps above your new SuporterBase will be created. Our system will provision your account with its own separate database for added security, create a new phone number to power your groups’ phone calls and SMS and start the sync process with your nation. This process takes 24-48 hours to complete, after which you will receive an email notification giving you admin access to your new account.